Confirmation

Confirmation (film) - WikipediaConfirmation
HBO
April 16, 2016
Historical Drama
DVD
B+

So here we have a historical drama about something that happened a quarter century ago, at a time when I was in my mid 20s, and it is already "dated" four years later.  That is of course not the fault of anyone involved in this powerful production (a made-for-cable movie that gets shelved under theatrical movies at my library).  No one knew who would be elected President and who that man would nominate to the Supreme Court.  It's just to say that it is different watching Confirmation now than it must've been in early '16.  Politics aside, the performances are compelling, particularly Washington's as Anita Hill, capturing her frailty and bravery, with able support from Wright as Charles Ogletree.  I don't think it's just that I was riveted to the hearings and news coverage almost thirty years ago, because this is as much about the behind the scenes story as what the public then saw.  (I considered tagging Tom Brokaw et al., but there were just too many now vintage clips to mention everyone here.)

Rick Famuyiwa directed.

Comments

Popular Posts