They Filmed the War in Color: Victory in Europe

Image result for They Filmed the War in Color: Victory in EuropeThey Filmed the War in Color: Victory in Europe
French TV (I don't know the channel/station)
Released to DVD in November 2006
Documentary
DVD
B

I liked this much more than I expected, since I'm not especially interested in either France or World War II.  But this focuses on the human side of war and, yes, it's Francocentric (the original title was France Is Free!), so we see what things were like for civilians as well as soldiers during those times.  And it is weird to see color, and that odd not-carefully-preserved-1940s color rather than black and white.  Hitler and De Gaulle and FDR, Edward G. Robinson and Jimmy Stewart and Clark Gable*, ordinary people of various nationalities, are all in color.  There is some footage of the war and its aftermath, and of the liberated camps, but the gore is used sparingly and to effect.   Rene-Jean Bouyer wrote and directed.

*I previously was not going to tag them, since most are shown rather than heard, but I have added Churchill, Hitler, and Mussolini, since I later reviewed The World at War.

Comments

Popular Posts