Birds of Prey: Premiere

Image result for Birds of Prey: Premiere
Birds of Prey: Premiere
The WB
October 9, 2002
Action
DVD
B-

The cast:

  • Ian Abercrombie as the apparently immortal Alfred Pennyworth
  • Shawn Christian as Wade Brixton
  • Mark Hamill providing, as he did on Batman: The Animated Series, the voice of the Joker
  • Shemar Moore as Jesse Reese
  • Dina Meyer as Barbara Gordon AKA Oracle AKA Batgirl
  • Mia Sara (who I thought was Anne Heche) as Dr. Harleen Quinzel, not yet revealed as Harley Quinn
  • Ashley Scott as Helena Kyle AKA the Huntress
  • Brent Sexton as Detective McNally
  • Rachel Starsten as Dinah Lance

I was surprised how much I liked this.  It's partly the all-female cast, and female villain, but I found this miles better written, directed, acted, etc. than Arrow.  It's set in New Gotham, where Batman has withdrawn from fighting crime, although his daughter Helena, by Catwoman, reluctantly plays heroine, with a wheelchair-bound but still strong Barbara Gordon as mentor.  Teenage mind-reader Dinah joins their team.  I might've gone with a B, but I'm squeamish and there was a bit too much blood for me.  Kudos on the modern look, with black & white for mind-journeys, but none of the fidgety editing that plagues other 21st-century TV shows.  I'm curious to see where this short-run series goes next.  And, no, I don't understand the series title.

Show developer Laeta Kalogridis wrote this episode and the following one.  This is the only episode Brian Robbins directed.

Comments

Popular Posts