The Muppet Show: Connie Stevens

Image result for The Muppet Show: Connie Stevens
"Close to You"
The Muppet Show: Connie Stevens
ITV
16 April 1977
Variety
DVD
B-

I'm guessing that these episodes are in production order, but I'm putting the original British airdates.  I realize that last time I didn't say anything about my history of watching TMS.  Well, I was born in '68, so the Muppets were just always around, first on Sesame Street and then here (when it hit syndication in the U.S.) and then movies.  I haven't seen every production of course, but they've always been there.  That said, it's not a show, like its contemporary Three's Company, that became a part of me.  The connection is less personal.  Watching it as an adult, I think the music holds up better than the comedy, although they do manage to get almost twenty minutes out of a Wacky Misunderstanding where Fozzie thinks everyone is talking about him instead of Gonzo's mangy teddy bear.  The music this time ranges from Sesame Street's Bert singing to the human guest star (who's very touchy-feely with everyone) to Dr. Teeth's band doing a very mellow "Ain't Misbehavin'."  One thing I'd forgotten was that Statler & Waldorf can be very snarky not only towards the show but towards each other.

Comments

Popular Posts