Omnibus: Novelist Segment

Image result for Omnibus faulknerOmnibus: Novelist Segment
CBS
December 28, 1952
Documentary
DVD
C

Don't tell me it's because the '50s, but I find this show to be very stilted.  Even the people who are supposed to be themselves (which I assume is everyone) are unconvincing.  This episode is significant for featuring William Faulkner in his hometown of Oxford, Mississippi, interacting with locals, young and old, black and white.  If you're curious, Cooke again manages to be sexist, although I'm assuming that it's somewhat accidental, where he claims that Nobel science prizes can be shared but only "one man" can win the prize for literature, and then he lists the previous Americans who won, including that distinguished gentleman Pearl S. Buck.  Note, I have never read any Faulkner and this seventeen-minute sequence didn't make me eager to start, but it was cool to see a '50s small town.

Comments

Popular Posts