Omnibus: Photography Segment

Image result for Omnibus halsman
Halsman's Dail portrait
Omnibus: Photography Segment
CBS
November 23, 1952
Documentary
DVD
C

I really don't know what to make of this eleven-minute sequence about photographer Philippe Halsman, who's shown staging a photo he calls "Friendship in Hollywood," with Eva Gabor and another actress strangling each other, while one is suspended in mid-air.  The host-- Alistair Cooke!-- of course has to mention a sexist quote from H.L. Mencken: "When women kiss, it always reminds one of prize-fighters shaking hands."  We aren't given any more insight than that into Halsman's work.  I'll give the next sequence a shot, but I don't know that I'll be watching all six+ hours of this DVD collection (alphabetized by my library as American Profiles).  And, yes, welcome at last to CBS!

Comments

Popular Posts