The Homecoming: A Christmas Story

Image result for The Homecoming: A Christmas StoryThe Homecoming: A Christmas Story
CBS
December 19, 1971
Historical Drama
DVD
C+

This is the TV-movie that led to The Waltons, and I found it a slightly weird experience.  I never watched The Waltons, since I was a sitcom girl in the '70s (OK, and beyond, but especially in the '70s), but I was aware of it in the zeitgeist, with jokes about "Goodnight, John-Boy" all around.  What's really odd is I feel like I watched this special in grade school.  I vaguely remember being shocked by the terms "pissants" and "bosoms," especially in that setting.  Watching it as an adult, it feels weird that John-Boy (played by 20-year-old Richard Thomas), as man of the house in his father's absence, is allowed to discipline the younger kids, including 13-year-old Mary Ellen.  Throwing in old lady bootleggers and Cleavon Little as a minister adds to the weirdness.  Still, I found it entertaining, with the exception of the actressy Patricia Neal.  (In every scene, she comes across as the star of a community theatre, playing to the rafters.)  They were wise to replace her as the mother with Michael Learned.  Edgar Bergen would be replaced as the grandfather, but it's nice to see him in a non-ventriloquist role.  My library does own The Waltons, but it won't necessarily be in by the time I get to the W's, so I won't note the rest of the cast at this time.

Earl Hamner, Jr. based this on one of his books and serves as narrator, as he would on the series.  Fielder Cook directed.

Comments

Popular Posts