Suits: Pilot

Image result for Suits: PilotSuits: Pilot
USA Network
June 23, 2011
Dramedy
DVD
B+

Regular cast:
  • Patrick J. Adams (then 30 but passing for much younger) as Mike Ross
  • Rick Hoffman as Louis Litt
  • Tom Lipinski as Trevor
  • Gabriel Macht as Harvey Specter
  • Meghan Markle (yes, now the Duchess of Sussex) as Rachel Zane
  • Sarah Rafferty as Donna Paulsen
  • Vanessa Ray as Jenny Griffith
  • Rebecca Schull as Edith Ross
  • Gina Torres as Jessica Pearson
Also, Victor Garber guest-stars as Philip.  Julie Ann Emery and Ivan Martin would return once as respectively Vanessa and Victor.

This show really surprised me, because I could see how it could come across as smarmy and unbearable in the wrong hands.  Instead, I found it funny, sharp, and stylish, with a script by creator Aaron Korsh (one of twenty-five).  It is well-cast, well-acted, and well-directed by Kevin Bray (his first of twelve).  The look and sound, especially the music, are movie-quality.  So why not a higher grade?  Well, it felt weird that in an episode with a thread about sexual harassment, the two main characters hit on a lot of women, and Harvey ends up in bed with one even after the audience heard her give him a firm no.  I understand that it's used to show that he's a hell of a "closer," able to keep going until he wins, but it didn't sit easy with me, especially since it's not really necessary to the plot.  On the other hand, it didn't ruin the show for me, and he isn't meant to be a sympathetic character anyway, unlike the fresh-faced but still conniving Mike.  And I did enjoy the gamesmanship not just between the two leads but between them and other characters.  For once, I'm not surprised that a modern show has lasted several seasons (now minus the Duchess).

Note that the title of the series is a multi-level pun, with lawsuits and dress suits and being suitable and so on.  By the way, the "dramedy" tag is one I'm using reluctantly.  This felt like more of a comedy-- I laughed out loud a few times-- but there is the whole drug-dealing thread and I expect future episodes will have some other "darker" moments.

Comments

Popular Posts