Everybody Loves Raymond: Why Are We Here?

Image result for Everybody Loves Raymond: Why Are We Here?Everybody Loves Raymond: Why Are We Here?
CBS
April 7, 1997
Sitcom
DVD
B-

Ray Romano co-wrote this season closer with Tom Paris and apparently it started a tradition of ending seasons with flashbacks.  In this one, we go back three years to when Debra was pregnant with the twins.  (Heaton was pregnant in real life, as I've suspected for the last few episodes, and it's nice that they found a way to incorporate it without making Debra pregnant in present day.)  With their family soon growing from three to five, they need a bigger place, and the house across the street from Ray's parents is available.  Debra is enthusiastic about this but Ray is understandably worried.

The show ran for another eight years, and as near as I can tell the same set-up of them living across the street from his annoying family continued.  And much of America loved it.  As for me, this first season ranges from C- to B- and averages out to a C+.  I've certainly seen worse but I'm not suddenly a fan.  The basic premise isn't that appealing to me but they sort of make it work.  I'll probably continue to watch about five minutes of various Barones arguing in the two houses every time I run across the series on cable.

Comments

Popular Posts