Little House on the Prairie: [Pilot]

Image result for Little House on the Prairie: [Pilot]Little House on the Prairie: [Pilot]
NBC
March 30, 1974
Historical Drama
DVD
B-

As with the Waltons Christmas special a couple years earlier, this is based on a book and led to a long-running series, one that I in this case watched, although not in decades.  This covers a little over a year and I think roughly corresponds to the book of the same name.  Watching it now, I noticed that, despite Laura's occasional narration and point-of-view, the parents are much more the focus.  Mary and Carrie are pretty much ciphers, with Mr. Edwards having an actual character arc.  I enjoyed the acting and the scenery, although I can definitely see why people find the books and TV show racist.  If the series proper had been in when I checked this out, I'd certainly continue.  Landon, who was 37 and had finished Bonanza only the previous year, directed and produced this TV-movie and would continue to be the main person responsible for the series.

Comments

Popular Posts