The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The 45-Year-Old Man

Image result for The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The 45-Year-Old ManThe Mary Tyler Moore Show: The 45-Year-Old Man
CBS
March 6, 1971
Sitcom
DVD
B-

George Kirgo's only MTM story, and the only one directed by Herbert Kenwith, closes out the season with Lou, the man of the episode title, almost being fired.  It's not a hilarious episode (although it tries), but it is sweet at times, especially with Lou & Mary.  Gordy reveals that his wife is pregnant and they already have a daughter, but I don't remember seeing his family like we see Murray's.

Slim Pickens plays Wild Jack Monroe and Richard Libertini plays Big Chicken.  Note that both Rhoda and Phyllis are absent.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show in its first season ranges from C- to B, averaging out to a high C+.  Like Mary Richards, it's sweet and likable but very uncertain.  I probably would've watched had I been an adult at the time, but I have always preferred The Bob Newhart Show, which has a stronger cast and writing.  Still, if any of the other seasons had been in, I'd be fine watching those.  As it is, I'm moving on.

Comments

Popular Posts