Christopher and His Kind

Image result for christopher and his kindChristopher and His Kind
BBC
19 March 2011
Biographical Drama
DVD
B

I'm using the "biographical drama" tag, since this is based on Isherwood's memoirs but it's not a biography per se, more of a dramatization.  In any case, I enjoyed it more than I expected, and I say that as someone who's never been able to stomach more than a few minutes of Cabaret.  This TV-movie is witty yet sad, set as it is primarily in early '30s Berlin.  "Kind" means those like you, which can be family or Family in the sense of the gay subculture, or even the family that Christopher finds with the lively Jean Ross, who would inspire his novel Sally Bowles.  I'm not sure how well all this hangs together, and the ending does feel a bit rushed, but it's definitely worth watching.  And, yes, I'm aware of Matt Smith as Dr. Who, but no, I haven't actually seen him (or most of the Doctors) as yet.

Geoffrey Sax directed.

Comments

Popular Posts