The Carol Burnett Show: Episode 10.8

Image result for the carol burnett show went with the windThe Carol Burnett Show: Episode 10.8
CBS
November 13, 1976
Variety
DVD
C+

I didn't watch CBS on CBS but instead saw abbreviated, sketch-only half-hour syndicated versions airing in I want to say the late '70s and/or early '80s.  I'm not sure why this "best of" DVD release has the episodes in a seemingly random order, so we'll be jumping through time quite a bit as long as I stay with this program.  This episode is best known for the movie parody Went with the Wind, which I didn't find as hilarious as its reputation, although the line about Starlet finding it in the window (like window-shopping) did make me laugh out loud.  I might've gone with a B- if not for the scene where Conway is a slow-moving and slow-thinking butcher.  Note that Dinah not only plays "Melody" but she covers "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover," and there are a lot of song references in WwtW, e.g. Billy Joe jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

I won't tag Announcer Ernie Anderson, but it is good to finally put a name to the familiar voice.  The director, Dave Powers, would go on to Three's Company, while the writers here include Elias Davis & David Pollock (M*A*S*H), Rick Hawkins & Liz Sage (Welcome Back, Kotter), Adele & Burt Styler (The Brady Bunch), Bill Richmond & Gene Perret (both Welcome Back, Kotter and Three's Company), and Dick Clair & Jenna McMahon (Soap), although in a lot of these cases they wrote for the later, lesser seasons of those comedies.

Comments

Popular Posts