The Cosby Show: Independence Day

Related image
The Cosby Show: Independence Day
NBC
January 10, 1985
Sitcom
DVD
B-

No, this, Matt Robinson's first of ten Cosby stories, isn't about Cliff complaining six months too late or too early about his Fourth of July presents.  It is instead the TCS episode that most changed my life, in that I never wanted to get my ears pierced (I have a low pain threshold) and when very heterosexual Theo got an earring, I felt I had mainstream permission to avoid a stupid female rite of passage.  True, I was almost seventeen and had made up my mind five or six years earlier, but it was empowering.  The episode is actually one of the better ones of the season, with Warner matching Cosby in physical comedy in the scene where Theo tries to prevent his dad from seeing the earring.  And not only does Earle Hyman return as Grandpa Huxtable, but we meet Clarice Taylor as his wife Anna, and they both tell family anecdotes. 

Comments

Popular Posts